There’s no space for disagreement.
Kevin Spacey must pay more than $30 million to the producers behind “House of Cards,” a judge ruled Thursday.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Mel Red Recana upheld a ruling by several different independent arbitrators in the case between production company MRC and the disgraced actor.
Spacey, 63, appealed the arbitration ruling and hoped to avoid paying the $30.9 million award, which was first reported last November.
Recana said Spacey’s attorneys “fail to demonstrate that this is even a close case” and “do not demonstrate that the damages award was so utterly irrational that it amounts to an arbitrary remaking of the parties’ contracts.”
After several people accused Spacey of sexual harassment, “House of Cards” rewrote its sixth season to remove Spacey’s central character. The series had been wildly successful before then, but was shut down afterward.
MRC launched an investigation into Spacey’s on-set conduct and found he’d harassed at least five crew members on the “House of Cards” set. They used that investigation to accuse Spacey of breaching his contract and demanded damages for the show’s cancellation.
“We are pleased with the court’s ruling,” MRC attorney Michael Kump said Thursday.
Spacey has continually denied any wrongdoing with respect to all the allegations against him. He recently pleaded not guilty to harassing three different young men while running the Old Vic theater in London for more than a decade. His case is ongoing.
With News Wire Services