Do you want to sell your old laptop but are worried about the sensitive data saved in it?
Wiping all the data from the laptop is an easy and trusted way to remove all the sensitive information and pictures from the laptop.
However, most people don’t know how to wipe the computer or how much it costs.
How Much Does It Cost To Wipe A Computer?
On average, it costs between $80 to $100 to wipe a computer completely.
If there is software that needs reinstalled or transportation included, this could bring the total cost over $100.
Other factors that could include a higher cost include the technician’s hourly rate.
Various technicians will charge a higher or lower hourly rate depending on your area.
How To Wipe Your Computer
The process of wiping all the data from the computer is quite easy.
All you need to do is follow the right steps depending on your computer type.
Here are some ways to wipe the computer depending on the version of Windows you are using.
Let’s move through them one by one.
A. Windows 10
If you are lucky enough to have Windows 10 or Windows 8, wiping the computer becomes far easier.
Just follow the given steps:
- Turn on the laptop, and press the settings icon.
- Search for Update and Security and select Recovery.
- A variety of options will appear. Select Remove Everything. Then press the Remove Files and Clean the Drive options.
- Now, opt for the reset option and press Remove Files Thoroughly.
In this way, all your data will be wiped, thus restricting anyone from getting access to it.
However, select “Remove Files Thoroughly”, and not “Remove Files Quickly” as the latter option only clears up the space by deleting them and not removing them completely.
B. Windows 11
If you have Windows 11 laptop, follow the given steps:
- Turn on the laptop, and go to your Settings.
- Select System, and tap the recovery option.
- Select Reset this PC, and from the drop-down menu, select Remove Everything, and the Data Erasure option will be turned on by default. If not, turn it on manually.
- All the data will be removed.
This way, you can permanently wipe all the data from your Windows 11.
Wiping the macOS computer is not as easy as Windows.
You need to consider several things, the most important being the processor of your Mac laptop.
The method of removing data and wiping the computer for Intel processors is different from that for silicon chip-based processors.
In addition to it, some silicon-based processors support the Monterey update 2021 to wipe the data, while others don’t.
Here are the steps for Intel-based and silicon chip-based laptops.
D. Intel Based Mac
If your computer is an Intel-based Mac and you want to wipe it, here is an easy-to-follow guide to look for.
However, the steps and options may differ a bit depending on the update and version you have.
- Turn on the Mac device.
- Immediately press the command and R until you see the Apple logo.
- Enter the username and password you used when setting up the device
- Go to utility windows, and select Disk Utility. Press OK
- On the toolbar, the Erase button will be displayed. Select it, enter the details asked, and the volume you want to delete (Macintosh HD mostly).
- Again, click Erase
- You will be asked to enter your Apple ID. Do so. The process of wiping data will start. In this way, delete all the internal volumes one by one.
E. Silicon CPU (Pre-Monterey Update)
If your Silicon CPU operates on a pre-Monterey version, follow the given steps by Apple to wipe your computer.
- Turn on your laptop and press the power button until you see the startup window.
- Click options from the window.
- A box will appear. Enter the username and password and the administrator password.
- Select the utility window, press disk utility, and continue.
- Then select the volume “Macintosh HD,” and press the delete button present in the toolbar. All the data in this volume will be deleted. If you have any other volume containing images or any sort of data, select that too.
- Wait for the erasing step to complete
F. Silicon CPU (Monterey Update)
Lastly, if you are fortunate enough to have MacOS with Monterey update, follow these steps given by Apple:
- Turn on your Mac laptop or computer.
- Go to System Preferences. A menu bar will open.
- Select Erase all content and settings.
- An erase assistant will open. Enter the username and password you use to sign in to your Mac, and press OK.
- A pop-up window will appear, asking for permissions. Click OK.
- Again click Erase all content and settings to confirm.
- The screen will turn black, or a progressing bar will appear. Let the process of wiping data complete.
- Once done, the computer will restart as if you are using it for the first time.
G. Chrome OS Or Chromebook
Lastly, if you are a Chrome OS user, here are the easy steps for you to follow:
- Turn on the laptop.
- Open the settings and look for the Power Wash option.
- Select it, and click Reset, followed by a restart.
- Then press Power Wash, and Press OK or Confirm.
- The Chromebook will connect to your account directly, store your data from the laptop in the account, and then run Power Wash to remove all the stored data.
Four Tips To Try Out Before Wiping Your Computer
If you are thinking of wiping your computer, here are some tips and factors to consider and things to do before deleting the data completely.
Let’s go through them one by one.
1. Purpose Of Wiping
First of all, find the reason you want to wipe the computer.
Are you aiming to sell it or just delete the heavy-loaded files?
If you want to just erase the files, wiping the computer or data reset is a good enough option.
However, if you want to sell it, it’s better to go for a few other protection and privacy tools to encrypt and save the data.
2. Back Up The Data In A Drive
Secondly, before deleting any file or opting for wiping, make sure to transfer all your data from the computer into a portable drive or USB.
In this way, none of the important information will be lost.
Another option is that you can upload all the important data and information to your email account, like Gmail, Google Docs, Drive, etc.
3. Deactivate The Software
Next, make sure to log out and deactivate all the software you have installed and then delete them.
For example, if you use Adobe Photoshop, never uninstall it directly.
Instead, go to the online platform (Creative Cloud) and sign out of the program from your laptop.
Then delete the app.
4. Copy Your Drivers
Undoubtedly, this is one of the most boring things to do, but we have to do it anyway.
Mostly soon after reformatting, your hardware suddenly stops responding.
In that case, you can reinstall the drivers from the copy.
An easy way to create a copy of drivers is to download programs like Driver Genius or SlimDrivers.
Pros And Cons Of Wiping A Computer
Now that you know how much it costs to wipe a computer and the different ways to do so, let’s find the pros and cons of wiping a computer.
1. Benefits Of Wiping A Computer
A few known benefits of wiping a computer are:
- It increases your computer’s efficiency, allowing you to search and work faster.
- The Disk Cleanup deletes all the extra files present in the disk space. As a result, a lot of disk space is cleared where you can store the new, more useful files.
- All the viruses and malware get removed, too, thus preventing your computer from getting hacked or crushed.
- Your device becomes free of errors and trash files that could end up infecting the device and its software.
- The chances of your device getting hanged decrease to zero.
2. Disadvantages Of Wiping A Computer
On the other hand, there are no disadvantages to deleting data or wiping a computer as long as you have stored all the important data somewhere else because, once you have wiped the computer, you cannot get all the information back.
How To Wipe iOS Devices
Apart from wiping your computer, you are free to wipe your mobile phones and tablets on your own, as well.
If you are an iOS user, here are the steps for you to follow and wipe the data:
- Disable the Find My option.
- Open Settings, and click on General.
- Tap on the Reset or Transfer button.
- Select Erase all content and settings option.
- Enter your passcode, and confirm erase option.
The process of erasing will start.
Once the process is completed, restart your phone.
How To Wipe An Android Phone?
Here are some easy steps for an Android user to follow and wipe your phone.
However, the steps and options can vary a bit depending on the model you have, so follow the given steps:
- Turn on your Android phone.
- Tap on the settings icon, and tap the mobile reset option.
- Various options will be displayed, like reset data, reset network settings, factory reset, etc. Select Erase All Data.
- Press confirm, and the process of wiping will start.
- Wait for it to complete, and you are done.
Free Cash App Money
Cash App Free Money Code
Free Money on Cash App
Cash App Free Money
$100 Free Cash App Money
How to Get Free Money on Cash App Instantly
$2,000 Free Money Cash App
Free Money Cash App
Free Cash App Money Legit
[5VQA3H] Free Eshop Codes Legit - Nintendo Eshop Gift Card Sale
[AS9IVS] Eshop Free Code - Play Games Get Gift Cards
[6WR59X] Shop Cards - Buy Online Card
[DWXV0N] Nintendo Redeeming Code - Nintendo Switch Games
[17GMRD] Play Store Prepaid Cards - Nintendo Store Code
[3YW4JW] Nintendo Switch Gift Game - Site to Redeem Gift Card
[H459C7] Buy Game Cards - Games Gift
[7OERJZ] Nintendo Switch Online Digital Code - Unused Eshop Codes
[58HQ17] Site to Redeem Gift Card - Buy Game Cards Online
[OC5TRV] Nintendo Eshop Code Generator No Survey - Free Game Codes for Nintendo Switch
[P0PI3D] Does Rite Aid Sell Paypal Cards - Disney Dreamlight Valley